Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Week 5 Reflection


     As I reflect back to the past five weeks, I can honestly say that I now view research in a different perspective.  I initially thought that the ultimate goal of this course was to conduct a lengthy research paper with little or no relevance to educational leadership.  I did not foresee this course to be utterly important for my future career.  However, I was truly mistaken.  I have learned that inquiry is powerful!   Through Nancy Fichtman Dana’s book, Leading with passion and knowledge: The Principal as Action Research I have learned that leaders who engage in action research discover that it brings endless rewards.   Action research provides opportunities for principals to collaborate with other members of the school and inquire.  It allows them to engage in collaborative decision-making about topics of concern.  Principal inquiry and action research transforms leaders into role models.  The principal has to frequently engage and model inquiry in order for other members in the school setting to develop and practice inquiry.  Engaging in inquiry also allows the principal to step out of their busy schedules and momentarily think deeply about issues that surround the campus.  The most important benefit of principal inquiry is that it leads to school reform and increase student achievement.  Action research allows principals and teachers to identify practices that best suite the campus.  This newfound knowledge will give me great insight on how I want to organize my future leadership position.  If I can establish a connection between rigorous instruction and increase student achievement, then I will have found a solution to our struggling reading scores.  This research and future inquiries will facilitate my professional growth and instill a desire for lifelong learning.  Encouraging in action research as a principal will create a school climate where inquires are welcomed and pursed as a means to increase student achievement.  I look forward to becoming a role model for my school because I am convinced that research is the solution to improving schools. 


     In these five weeks I have also learned about the nine passions of action research.  These passions are staff development, curriculum development, individual teacher(s), individual student(s), community/culture building, leadership, management, school performance, and social justice.  I feel that all areas are utterly important and necessary for administrators and teachers.  The ultimate goal of the nine passions mentioned in Nancy Fichtman Dana’s book, Leading with Passion and Knowledge: The Principal as Action Researcher, is to increase student achievement.  As I reflect on this reading assignment, I realized that I am most interested in action research in the area of curriculum development.  My future plans include attaining a job as a curriculum coordinator.  Curriculum development refers to inquiry about the quality of the curriculum in place or lack of curriculum.  “By reviewing more than 3,000 studies of student achievement, Fraser, Walberg, Welch, and Hattie (1987) identified the quality of the curriculum as one of ten factors influencing student achievement” (Dana, 2009, p. 35).  With this in mind, it is no wonder why many administrators often engaged in action research in this area.   Our district identified reading as an area of concern and inquired about ways to increase reading instruction throughout the day.  My action research relates with this passion because at or campus we need to modify our reading curriculum in place and increase the rigor in order to increase reading scores.  I believe that this area is important to research because a quality curriculum can help increase student achievement.  A well-developed curriculum based on district or campus needs is ideal because it impacts student weaknesses directly.  It is also crucial that teachers be fully trained and knowledgeable about the curriculum in order to effectively implement it.  
     The most astounding aspect of this course is that is allowed me to value reflection.  Reflection involves “abstract thinking” about what needs to be done regarding school issues (Martin, 2005, p.104).  It allows for leaders to think deeply about current problems and create a plan of action.  This constant reflection has to be practiced in order for leaders to transform from novice to experts (Martin, 2005, p.104).  I realized that by reflecting I could be more intentional about student learning and classroom instruction.  It is often difficult for an administrator to find time to record ideas and concerns that arise throughout the day.  However, I think that I found the perfect solution.  I pad!  I purchased an inexpensive journal application and found it easy to reflect daily about my school, instruction, and research.  
     “Schools are changing every day based on a myriad of circumstances that are occurring in the United States and globally. It is imperative that educators have knowledge of other world cultures as the world becomes 'smaller' based on technological and media advances" (Harris, 2010, p. 98).  Change is inevitable.   This course has accomplished its purpose because I have gained sufficient insight on how I can prepare for change now and change in the future.



References
Blackburn, Barbara. (2008).  Rigor Is Not a Four-Letter Word.  San Antonio, TX:  Eye On Education.
Dana, Nancy Fichtman. (2009). Leading with Passion and Knowledge: The Principal as Action Researcher. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin, a Joint Publication with the American Association of School Administrators.
Harris, S., Edmonson, S., & Combs, J. (2010).  Examining What We Do To Improve Our Schools: 8 Steps From Analysis to Action.  Jonesborough, TN:  Eye on Education.
Martin, Gary E. (2005). School Leader Internship: Developing, Monitoring, and Evaluating Your Leadership Experience: Meeting ISLLC, NCATE, and ELCC Standards. Larchmont, NY: Eye On Education.

No comments:

Post a Comment